Thanks to everyone that came!
During the weekend of October 28th, we had Drysdale Jiu-Jitsu black belt, Renato Canuto, come to Clarion MMA and teach two amazing seminars! Renato is a black belt under his father, Valdir “Tio Chico” Canuto, and Robert Drysdale. Renato is one of the top representatives of Team Zenith Jiu-Jitsu in the international circuit, and has proven his championship level of expertise in many different events, including winning the 2016 IBJJF World Championship in both Gi and No-Gi. Some of his other recent titles include UAEJJF Abu Dhabi Grand Slam Los Angeles Champion, and IBJJF American Nationals Champion. When we say “recent”, we mean it! The weekend after his seminars he and wife both took home gold medals from IBJJF Long Beach International Open!
Our Biggest Sale of the Year!
Really, I think we only have one sale a year, but this will be our biggest one yet! Starting Sunday the 19th and running through the rest of November we are offering a huge selection of deals. There will be a number of items that will only be available on a first-come-first-served basis, so plan on being there on the 19th! Here are a few the highlights:
- Used Gear will be available for 1/2 OFF! Gloves, heavy bags, puzzle mat squares, striking pads, swords, and more!
- Used Gis up to 1/2 OFF!
- Save 20% on any catalog order placed on the 19th!
- The $5 table will be back!
- Discounts on in-stock items!
Sell your old Gi
This year we are trying a new idea, a Gi exchange sale! Get that old gi out of your closet and turn it into cash!
A lot of us have a gi that either doesn’t fit anymore or was ordered from a discount website and turned out to be the wrong size. This is the perfect opportunity to put those gis in front of somebody that might be looking for exactly what you have!
Here’s how it works:
- Bring in your clean gi before November 17th.
- You set the price you would like to sell it for (see suggestions below).
- We will run the sale from November 19th – 30th.
- If your gi sells, and you want the cash, we are asking that you donate 15% of your sale price to our Boosters Club and you take 85% in cash. Or receive 100% in credit for purchases at Clarion MMA.
- If your gi doesn’t sell, you get it back. No fees, no problems!Some things to consider when setting the price of your used gi:
- People are buying used to save money. Typically they expect to save 30%-50%
- We have new plain Jiu Jitsu and Judo gis in stock at around $75.
- New lightweight karate gis are $35.
- Premium Jiu Jitsu gis typically run $125 – $150 when new.
- We add $20 to the price of a gi if it comes with a set of Clarion MMA patches sewn on.
- The more worn the item looks, the bigger the discount should be.
Spring tends to be jiu-jitsu season, with a variety of events throughout the region. There are always a few tournaments, but one that we are already aiming for is the NAGA tournament that will be in Pittsburgh on April 14th. We will take down an army to see how many medals, swords and belts we can bring home!
Don’t wait until March to start preparing! Right now we are laying the foundation for that event. This is the time that we are working on new moves and developing new strategies for each person. In February and March each person will be refining their best techniques. If you want to be refining new techniques, then please show up now to add them to your toolbox! Too often people put all their effort in right before the tournament so they miss adding all the new stuff.
Come Fly With Us!
In February we are taking a trip to Las Vegas to train. If you are interested in going, we need to know! Here are the details:
All are welcome to join us. There will be plenty of training on the itinerary, but none of it is mandatory. Feel free to take the trip and spend your days doing whatever you please in the hotel or the city!
We will visit at least two or three gyms over the course of the weekend. There is likely to be a mix of gi and no-gi jiu jitsu and there is usually a kickboxing class for the those that want it.
Included in the base price of the trip:
- Transportation to the airport from Clarion.
- Flight to Las Vegas.
- Hotel for four nights.
- Transportation with the group while in Vegas.
- Unlimited bottles of water while in Vegas.
- Training at Drysdale’s academy and all of the other gyms that we can fit into the schedule.
- Flight back home and transportation back to Clarion.
About the hotel:
We will get the best hotel(s) possible for the money and what the majority of the group feels is important. Typically there are two options:
1- A cheap hotel but everybody gets their own bed
2- A great hotel room with a bunch of people crammed in. This is where we would end up at a better hotel with a pool, hot tub, shuttles to the strip, etc.
If any person wants we can book you a single room for an additional cost.
There is also the option for a cheap hotel room with a bunch of people crammed in. This would save some money off the base price of the trip, but there would need to be at least four people interested in this option for it to work.
Base Price – $400 to $450 depending on transportation prices in January. This is projected to be only $400, but I want everyone to be prepared, just in case. The airline we used this summer is no longer running the cheap and direct flight from Pittsburgh to Vegas, but we will find the cheapest alternative.
Add a trip to the Grand Canyon for only $50! For those that are interested we will venture out to the Grand Canyon on Sunday. We will take pictures, hike around a bit, and do the stuff one does when they visit.
If you are going but not training, you can subtract $50 from the base price.
We would like to know now if you are considering going. Confirm by November or December. A $250 deposit is due by January 1st. This will be used to buy your plane ticket and is non-refundable. The remainder of your balance is due by Feb. 1st.
The Tentative Schedule
On Thursday, Feb. 15th we will leave Clarion in the late afternoon for a flight that evening. We will arrive in Las Vegas late on Thursday evening, stop by a grocery store and then check-in to the hotel.
On Friday we will have training throughout the morning and evening. Friday night is open.
Saturday will begin with training, probably in the late morning. The afternoon and evening are open.
On Sunday we will offer an optional trip to the Grand Canyon. This will use pretty much the full day.
Monday morning we are back on the mats again. We will try to squeeze in an evening session too, depending on when the flight leaves Monday night.
On Tuesday morning our flight will land back home and we will return to Clarion at some point before 10am and spend the day wondering why we live in western Pennsylvania.